2K in the Theater

Well, despite lots of obstacles we now have a beautiful 2K projector installed in our moderately sized theater. Played Wings of Desire and we had a gorgeous black and white image on the screen. Wings was shot by the master cinematographer Henri Alekan on 35mm Kodak negative stock and it is as beautiful as can be, especially the wonderful tracking shots in Berlin’s Prussian State Library, that masterpiece of modern architecture built by Hans Scharoun to anchor the cultural complex that used to be up against the Berlin Wall. This is one of my favorite films because it captures the old West Berlin so well, has two of my favorite actors (Peter Falk and Bruno Ganz) and I saw it at a time when my life in New York was one film after another in the lost movie theaters of my youth. Nostalgia.

But here is the rub. The 2K projector is BETTER than HD and the Sony circuitry actually makes the picture look better than it probably did back in the beat up old theater that was torn down a generation ago. And the film is being played back from my iPad. No more tape, DVD or 16mm film.

Next step is to finally get the 4K installed in the big theater…

http://www.wim-wenders.com/movies/movies_spec/wingsofdesire/wingsofdesire.htm